As a business owner, you should always be up to date on your email marketing statistics. Knowing the latest email marketing statistics will reinforce your understanding of email marketing and its importance. As a result, it will also help guide your marketing strategy.
Bonus Content: Grab a copy of our Email Marketing Roadmap.
We’ve put together a list of 20 email marketing statistics every business owner should know.
Let’s get started.
1. Email marketing averages an ROI of $38 for every $1 spent. (DMA National Client Email Report 2015)
2. For 89 percent of marketers, email serves as the primary channel for lead generation. (Mailigen)
3. Email has become the top source of analytics data for marketing professionals, with 41 percent relying on performance data. (Forbes)
4. For one in five companies, email marketing provides an ROI greater than 70-to-1. (DMA National Client Email Report 2015)
5. Of Gmail’s 1 billion users, 75 percent check their accounts on mobile devices. (TechCrunch)
6. Emails that are relevant to the recipient drive 18 times more revenue than general broadcast emails. (Mailigen)
7. Email list segmentation increases click-through rates by 5 percent. (Mailigen)
8. Thirty-three percent of email opens occur on an iPhone. (Litmus’ 2016 State of Email Report)
9. Email is the preferred source of business communication for 72 percent of consumers. (MarketingSherpa)
10. Sixty-one percent of consumers enjoy receiving promotional emails weekly, and 28 percent would like emails to come even more frequently. (MarketingSherpa)
11. Recipients decide whether your emails are attention-worthy in 0 to 3 seconds. (US Consumer Device Preference Report, Q3 2015)
12. Mobile has surpassed desktop as the readers’ choice for email, with 55 percent of email now being opened on mobile devices. (Litmus)
13. U.S. white-collar workers say they spend about 6.3 hours per day checking their email. (Reuters)
14. Email is the preferred means of business communications across all age groups. (MarketingSherpa)
15. Within six months of adopting marketing automation, 8 percent of companies see increased revenues. But after one year of using automation, 32 percent report increased revenue. (Benchmarking Report: Marketing Automation)
16. Personalized email subject lines increase open rates for consumer products and services companies by 41.8 percent. (MarketingSherpa)
17. Proper email list segmentation can double email open rates. (MarketingSherpa)
18. Ninety-five percent of B2B marketers cited email as an integral part of marketing communications. Similarly, 78 percent of B2C marketers cited active and dedicated email operations. (Aberdeen Group)
19. Email is 40 times more likely to acquire new customers than Facebook or Twitter. (McKinsey)
20. For every dollar spent, email marketing generates $38 in ROI. (Campaign Monitor)
Finally, here’s what we learned from these email marketing statistics:
- Email generates revenue, leads, and data.
- Every email should be optimized for mobile.
- Your email lists should be segmented, and campaigns should be targeted and personalized.
- Consumers of all ages prefer to communicate with businesses via email.
- Consumers spend a lot of time checking their email but only a short time deciding which emails to open.
- Automation can increase revenue.
The takeaway is clear: Email is a marketer’s best friend. Since not every business owner has time to learn the ins and outs of email marketing, we created the best email marketing software for small business owners. If you need a little help, let us automate the process.
Updated 9/15/16; Originally published 2/3/15.